This past weekend we attended the San Mateo county fair and it was amazing. The kids had so much fun petting farm animals, listening to live music, carnival games, and having such delicious carnival food! The kids finally got to go out and enjoy some outdoor activities and it was such a joy to see.
And yes everything we live by about eating healthy was thrown out of the window. But hey, it is the county fair, after all, so you know we had to eat everything they had to offer: turkey legs, corn dogs, french fries, funnel cake, lemonade, ice cream, cotton candy, etc. In truth, we eat healthy every day for days like this where we want to go nuts and let the kids go all out.
With that, we wanted to share our county fair must-haves:
- County fair tickets on Groupon
- While the tickets weren’t exactly expensive, we definitely saved a good chunk of money by buying them online first!
- Keens wagon
- This wagon is every bit worth the money. I bought this about 2 years ago and 3 kids later and everyone still fits! It’s very roomy and comes with a sunshade as well as pockets for water bottles, backpacks, and beers (for the parents 😅)
- Water Bottle
- Extra just in case the kids dropped them on the floor or lost them
- It got pretty chilly as the sun started to set
- Hats & sunblocks
- Especially during the time we went, it was hot and super sunny
- Diapers and wipes
- For dirty bums and sticky hands
- Extra change of clothes
- Melted ice cream and all kinds of food particles, enough said.
- Hand sanitizer
- You can never have enough!
- County Fair Scavenger Hunt
- Last year I put together this hunt together to keep things interactive as we walked around the county fair. This year we brought it out again as a fun way for the younger kids to use their eyes to spot various things you can find at a county fair. This is especially great for kids that are younger and can’t ride in many rides yet. This kept the kids busy for a good 30 mins while the parents took a break. You can find the scavenger hunt in my Etsy shop along with more scavenger hunts I created to keep my kids busy.
And with that, we’ve officially kicked off the beginning of what will be a super fun summer! Now I’d love to hear from you! Comment below and tell me about your favorite games and food at the county fair.