You might be thinking…why would I need to wash my dishwasher?? How to clean the dishwasher with vinegar and baking soda? Why shouldn’t I buy the over-counter products? Isn’t it cleaning itself as well when cleaning dishes? Yeah yeah, so many questions. Don’t worry I will answer them all. I use my dishwasher every day and sometimes twice a day. Let me tell you it is absolutely crucial to “Clean” your dishwasher monthly. Trust me it’s not extra to think that’s a little crazy? Ok..no it’s not crazy to think that but YES, it is absolutely a must to clean your dishwasher monthly.
Why do you need to wash your dishwasher?
Actually, the dishwasher dissolves the food particles with hot water and also with water pressure. If you check your filter there are tons of food scraps, soap scum, germs, and build up in the dishwasher, in some cases, you might have this smell that’s coming from your dishwasher that’s stinking up your kitchen because the food particles can clog up the drain and even spray of your dishwasher. It can lead to reduced water while your washing cycles and your dishes might not get out as clean as they should be.
So not just dishwashing can improve the performance of your machine but it can also extend their life.
How to clean your dishwasher?
So, how to clean a dishwasher with vinegar? No need to buy anything at the store to clean your dishwasher. If you have these two items (which is a staple in my household) that’s all you really need. If you don’t have it…I’ll say if you see it on sale, you should definitely stock up. Ok…all you need is White Vinegar and Baking Soda! What I love about white vinegar and baking soda is, in fact, it’s all-natural with no toxic chemicals so it is completely safe to use.
Ok, let’s dive into cleaning our dishwasher.
- First, if you have dishes in the dishwasher make sure to empty them.
- Now let’s remove the filter inside the dishwasher, the filter is usually located below the bottom rack of the washer. Twist and take out your filter.
- If you haven’t washed your filter in a long time, you might see food particles or mold on it. Throw away the food particles that are attached to the filter and use a brush or an old toothbrush and brush the filter with some soapy water.
- After you’re done cleaning the filter you can go ahead and put that back.
- Next, we’re going to grab a glass container and fill it up with white vinegar. I would suggest 1 cup.
- Now run the dishwasher on the hottest setting but make sure it’s on the short timer setting.
- Now you should see a very clean dishwasher… but we want to make sure the drain and everything will be smelling great.
- So now we’re going to sprinkle 1 cup of baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher and repeat it on the hottest setting of the dishwasher.
Now you should have a clean and odor-free dishwasher. I do this monthly to keep my dishwasher clean and running great!
So you have found out the answer to your question on “how to clean dishwasher with vinegar?”
If you try this dishwashing method, don’t forget to leave me a lovely comment below. I love reading everyone’s comments and love replying back! If you have a clogged drain or a smelly drain don’t forget to visit my post on homemade drain cleaner.