The truth is, no matter if you’re a man or a woman or how old you are, everyone wants to have youthful skin. As important as beauty products are for your skin, I think what you EAT is more important for maintaining your natural radiance to keep your skin looking young and healthy. After all the saying does go, “are you what you eat!” The truth is, the food you eat makes a HUGE difference in how your skin looks! In this blog post, we’re going to discuss 10 foods that are anti-aging and help promote healthy skin from the inside out.
What is collagen?
Collagen is a protein that is found in the skin, bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Collagen provides strength and elasticity to these tissues and helps keep them looking young and healthy. As we age, our body’s natural ability to produce collagen decreases, which is why it’s important to include anti-aging foods in our diet.
Why should we eat foods high in collagen?
One of the best ways to ensure that your skin looks its best is to make sure you’re eating plenty of foods high in collagen. Collagen is a protein found in connective tissue that helps keep skin looking elastic and youthful. Some good sources of collagen include bone broth, lamb, pork, beef, salmon, trout, chicken, eggs.
Can we use supplements instead?
I know there are tons of supplements for every vitamin and mineral. I’ve always been a fan of food rather than taking supplements. Eating whole foods is always best, and if you can get all the nutrients your body needs from food, then you simply don’t need to take supplements.
However, I do acknowledge that not everyone has time to cook or access all these nutrient-rich foods. If that’s the case, then a high-quality collagen supplement would be a good idea. I recommend looking for a supplement that contains hydrolyzed collagen, which is the most easily absorbed by the body.
The 15 Anti-Aging Foods that you should include in your diet are:
- Fish: Fish is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which are crucial for keeping skin hydrated and preventing wrinkles. Salmon, mackerel, sardines, and tuna are all great options. Remember to eat the skin, too, as that’s where most of the omega-fatty acids are found.
- Leafy Vegetables: Vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and leafy greens are high in beta carotene, a substance that helps keep skin looking healthy.
- Chicken: Chicken is a high-protein food that can help keep skin looking toned and taut. Chicken cartilage and chicken feet is super high in collagen.
- Seeds: Seeds like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are high in zinc, an important mineral for keeping skin looking smooth and elastic.
- Berries: Berries are high in antioxidants, which help protect skin from the damage caused by free radicals.
- Nuts: Nuts are a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps keep skin looking young and healthy. Cashews, almonds, and walnuts are all great choices.
- Garlic: Garlic is high in anti-inflammatory compounds, which can help keep skin looking healthy.
- Eggs: Eggs are a good source of protein, which is necessary for maintaining the collagen in your skin.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers are high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps keep skin looking youthful.
- Tea: Tea is high in antioxidants, which help protect the skin from the damage caused by free radicals. Green tea, elderberry tea, goji berry tea are both great options.
- Bone broth: Bone broth is high in collagen, the connective tissue and cartilage are broken down the collagen and gets extracted from the bones and turns into liquid. Collagen is found in abundance in bone broth. In fact, the gelatinous texture of bone broth is due to the high collagen content. Not only does bone broth contain collagen, but it’s also a good source of anti-inflammatory amino acids, electrolytes, and minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Adding bone broth to your diet is a great way to increase collagen production and help keep your skin looking young and healthy.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits are high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps keep skin looking youthful. Grapefruits, lemons, lime, and oranges are all great options.
- Beans: Beans are high in zinc, an important mineral for keeping skin looking smooth and elastic. Try making a beans salad or chili.
- Papaya: Papaya is high in antioxidants, which help protect skin from the damage caused by free radicals.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are high in lycopene, an antioxidant that helps keep skin looking youthful. Try making tomato soup or homemade pasta sauce.
Foods that we should avoid that’ll damage our skins are :
Coffee: Coffee is high in caffeine, which can cause the skin to look dehydrated and aged.
Alcohol: Alcohol can cause the skin to look dry, saggy, and wrinkled.
Sugar: Sugar can accelerate the signs of aging by causing damage to collagen fibers.
Stress: Stress can lead to a breakdown in the skin’s collagen and elasticity, leading to premature aging.
So, now that you know which foods to eat for anti-aging and youthful skin, be sure to avoid these damaging foods!
Remember to Include these anti-aging foods in your diet is a great way to help promote healthy, youthful skin from the inside out! Not only will you be doing your skin a favor, but you’ll also be promoting overall health and wellness.
So there you have it! Fifteen anti-aging foods to include in your diet for healthy, youthful skin. I hope this blog post was helpful and gave you some ideas for meals to enjoy. Thanks for reading!
Do you have a favorite anti-aging food that I didn’t mention? Leave a comment below and let me know! I’d love to hear from you. And don’t forget to share this blog post with your friends and family. They’ll thank you for it!