Yes yes yes, watermelon season is here!!! And if there’s anything I’ve learned from my Chinese parents and grandparents, it is how to pick the best watermelon. I’m sure you’ve seen people circling the watermelon area at the market; examining each watermelon, slapping it, tapping it, smelling it, and then yes…. putting it down to find another one. I swear finding the perfect watermelon is an art. When your friends and family enjoy it and find it sweet, you can’t help but be proud of yourself. There’s something about finding a juicy and sweet watermelon that you can absolutely brag about.
Trust me when I say, I am totally that lady at the market tapping the hell out of the watermelon to see which one is the perfect watermelon one to take home! So don’t be shy…and tap tap tap baby! So today, I’m going to share with you how to pick the perfect watermelon this summer! Next time you go to the market you’ll be that person….tapping and slapping the watermelon!
Watermelon is in season between June through September, so the best time to eat juicy and sweet watermelon is from June to September.
Fun fact: I am growing sugar baby watermelons in my garden right now, which will be ready to harvest around the end of July this year.
How to pick the BEST watermelon
RIPE, FULL OF WATER, CRISPY, SWEET!
- Big orange/yellow spot (field spot). If you can’t find this spot that means the watermelon was picked when it wasn’t ripe enough.
- Press the outside of the watermelon..if it has a little give, it means it’s ripe
- Tap and slap it. If it sounds hollow it means it’s full of water
- Brown stem means the watermelon is mature
- Round = sweeter
- Webbing. When you see this webbing (kind of like spider webs) on the watermelon it means this watermelon is DELICIOUS!! The webbing is a result of bee pollination in the early stages. So just think, the more pollination means the sweeter this watermelon will be.
- Heavy also indicates it is full of water!
With these 7 watermelon picking components I know you’ll find the perfect watermelon this summer. Make sure to share this with your family and friends…so they can brag about picking the sweetest and juiciest watermelon!!!
Make sure to comment below if you have any more tips to share!